Hallo Julien,
Julien Patrick Claassen hat gesagt: // Julien Patrick Claassen wrote:

>   I'm running:
> suse-rpm:
> Version     : 0.9.0.cvs20020903

This has the old alsamixer, I guess.

>   Is it RELATIVELY easy to install alsa 0.9.1 with a 2.4.19 kernel (also
> suse)? Then I would do it. But I'm a little afraid of crashing my system to
> the point where my braille-display won't start.

I still run kernel 2.4.18 so this should not be a problem. You could
also try to install the alsa-utils package only to get a new
alsamixer.  Or even only install alsamixer to /usr/local. I think, it
can work with older versions of libasound as well, but I'm really not
an expert here.

I used the Debian packages and I didn't change anything in the
configuration, I only installed the new packages, built the new
modules and everything was fine after a restart with the alsa init
script.

ciao