Hi Christian,

I've installed Redhat 9.0 on my ASUS P4PE and experienced the same
problem (also seems to exist on boards with other sound-chips, e.g.
via82xxx). Thanks to the people on this list I found out that it usually
comes down to one of two problems:

1. The ALSA driver can't load because of a conflict with the OSS driver.
2. The ALSA driver mutes some channels by default, which need to be
unmuted.

Ad 1.: Use /sbin/lsmod to see the list of installed modules. If ALSA is
loaded correctly you should see something like

snd-intel8x0    22564           0 (autoclean)
snd-pcm         85248           0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer               19588           0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec  47944           0 (autoclean) [snd-intel8x0]
snd-mpu401-uart  5200           0 (autoclean) [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi             18560           0 (autoclean) [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device   6204           0 (autoclean) [snd-rawmidi]
snd                     42916           0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec
snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore                6404           4 (autoclean) [snd]

It's important that it says snd-intel8x0 and NOT i810_audio, otherwise
the OSS driver was loaded first and the ALSA driver can't load anymore.

In this case try "/sbin/modprobe -r i810_audio" as root to remove the
OSS module (you possibly need to unload the modules that depend on this
one first) and then "/sbin/modprobe snd-intel8x0" to install ALSA.

Note that this change is probably not permanent and will only last until
the next reboot. On Redhat I switched off the hardware auto-detection
called 'kudzu' using "ntsysv" and double-checked that /etc/modules.conf
does not contain a reference to i810_audio but only to snd-intel8x0,
although there's probably a more intelligent way. My modules.conf looks
something like this:

# alsa
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
post-install snd-intel8x0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
pre-remove snd-intel8x0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store

As far as I know SUSE uses yast instead of kudzu to detect hardware so
maybe you could use that to uninstall the soundcard.

Ad 2.: You need to use a mixer that supports ALSA natively (like
"alsamixer") to ummute all the channels; kmix won't do.

Good luck -- Frank