Clemens (or anybody else),

I still can't get a /etc/asound.state to be made. Perhaps I accidentally implied that I fixed it, but I haven't. Please let me know if you've figured anything out.

Yes, the drivers are loaded using the provided initscript that was
installed as /etc/init.d/alsasound during "make install". The alsactl error also prints during the start/restart of the /etc/init.d/alsasound script, but lsmod clearly shows the drivers loaded and in use after running /etc/init.d/alsasound, and they unload with /etc/init.d/alsasound stop.

The instructions provided on
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Creative+Labs&card=Soundblaster+Live&chip=EMU10K1&module=emu10k1

were insufficient to get it to work.  I ran an "alsaconf"
script that I found somewhere on the internet, which added two
extra lines to /etc/modules.conf that were not included on the
documentation page.  The lines that were added read:

options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
options snd-emu10k1 index=0

--
William M. Quarles