> I have been successful in using the drivers to play sound through the
> analog out. I have tried every possible setting I could think of to make
> the digital out work but somehow it's not enabled. Otherwise I would
> notice a red light going on at the back of the card.
> I don't have a .soundrc. Do I need one for this functionality to work?

Have you tried the second device? aplay -Dplughw:0,1 <filename>

Yes, I have. No luck :( It starts playing like there should actually be some sound but there's no sound whatsoever. The digital out isn't even initialised / enabled since the red light on the back of the card is not on. I started playing again with the mixer controls to see if changing the values might make a difference but once again none of the settings would enable the digital out.

Dennis