> >Have you tried the second device? aplay -Dplughw:0,1 <filename>
>
> Yes, I have. No luck :(
> It starts playing like there should actually be some sound but there's no
> sound whatsoever. The digital out isn't even initialised / enabled since the
> red light on the back of the card is not on.
> I started playing again with the mixer controls to see if changing the values
> might make a difference but once again none of the settings would enable
> the digital out.

attach the /etc/asound.state.  there is a mixer switch to enable the
spdif, "IEC958 Playback Switch".  together with the switch, you need
to set up the IEC958 status bits correctly.

but in general, you can play with "spdif" device, such as

aplay -Dplug:spdif foo.wav

(when the wav file is 16bit).

I tried it with a 16 bit 44.1 Khz stereo wav file with about 1 hour of sound.
That should be enough time to check every setting :)

Anyway, I've included my /etc/asound.state.
I don't know if I have to throw this file away after every build. I also didn't use
any specific build options. I just used a plain "make" command to get everything
into place. After that I loaded the modules and that was it. Here is some output
that I get when starting up. After this there's also the output I get from lsmod:

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 02:09.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1d.1
insmod: Warning: ignoring device_mode=0666, no such parameter in this module
insmod: Module snd loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-seq-device loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-rawmidi loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-mpu401-uart loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-ak4xxx-adda loaded, with warnings
insmod: Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20-ac2/kernel/sound/pci/ice1712/snd-ice17xx-ak4xxx.o will taint the kernel: no license
insmod: See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
insmod: Module snd-ice17xx-ak4xxx loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-ac97-codec loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-timer loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-page-alloc loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-pcm loaded, with warnings
insmod: Module snd-ice1724 loaded, with warnings

Module Size Used by Tainted: P
usb-storage 35232 0 (unused)
snd-intel8x0 18308 0 (unused)
tuner 10240 0 (autoclean) (unused)
tvaudio 12796 0 (autoclean) (unused)
bttv 69632 0 (unused)
videodev 6176 2 [bttv]
btaudio 11052 0 (unused)
snd-ice1724 19444 0 (unused)
snd-pcm 62784 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-ice1724]
snd-page-alloc 6548 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm]
snd-timer 14660 0 [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec 41256 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-ice1724]
snd-ice17xx-ak4xxx 1536 0 [snd-ice1724]
snd-ak4xxx-adda 3868 0 [snd-ice1724 snd-ice17xx-ak4xxx]
snd-mpu401-uart 3504 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-ice1724]
snd-rawmidi 13824 0 [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device 4304 0 [snd-rawmidi]
snd 29700 0 [snd-intel8x0 snd-ice1724 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-ak4xxx-adda snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore 3780 3 [bttv btaudio snd]

Thanks,

Dennis