OK, I've come this far:

- installed kernel sources rpm
- compiled alsa 0.9.3cdriver, library and  utils
When I tried to load them into the kernel with modprobe, I got the following error
message:

modprobe snd-es18xx
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/isa/snd-es18xx.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO
or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/isa/snd-es18xx.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/isa/snd-es18xx.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/isa/snd-es18xx.o: insmod snd-es18xx failed

The messages file tells me this :

Jul  8 09:16:28 localhost kernel: ALSA ../alsa-kernel/isa/es18xx.c:2249: ESS
AudioDrive ES18xx soundcard not found or device busy
Jul  8 09:16:29 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-0
Jul  8 09:16:29 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-1
Jul  8 09:16:29 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-2
Jul  8 09:16:29 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-3
Jul  8 09:16:29 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-4
Jul  8 09:16:29 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-5
Jul  8 09:16:29 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-6
Jul  8 09:16:29 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-7
Jul  8 09:19:24 localhost kernel: ALSA ../alsa-kernel/isa/es18xx.c:2249: ESS
AudioDrive ES18xx soundcard not found or device busy

Seems like the system sees no soundcard.  This is very strange though, as this system
formely ran on windows, and windows detected the ES1869 soundcard.

Anyone any hints or tips ??