Dear ALSA developers,

Ok, I fixed the previous problem; now running the
latest kernel + latest modules (and alsa 0.9.4).

The REAL problem I have is the following:

Recording has always been extremely hard to impossible
with linux - one of the applications that I REALLY
cannot get working is the speech recognition tool of
IBM: ViaVoice.

I downloaded the commercial sound drivers from Front4
and with that it works perfectly.  In the past I've also
got this to work with the OSS/Free stuff.

However... with ALSA, it has never has worked; and I've tried
a lot of things :(.

I can't see this anymore being anything else but a bug
in ALSA.  The problem however is to find WHY it doesn't
work (and then fix it).

I'd like to get some guidance with that.

My setup is as follows:

1) It works (recording speech with microphone) when using
   the Front4 commercial sound drivers.
2) With ALSA, playback works and I hear myself back over
   the speakers when I talk into the microphone.  I even
   can let it 'sing around' by capturing Mic (of course) and
   turning on max. "AC97" and "Capture == Igain".  Also
   "AC97 Capture" was set to the maximum.  In fact, I turned
   EVERYTHING on to the maximum with alsamixer, unmuted
   everything and captured Mic [1]... No recording.

I am willing to get to the bottom of this, but I am out
of ideas right now :/

Please help.

--
Carlo Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>