hi,

Firstly, please excuse my ignorance of the alsa sound system and now:

I'm trying to route an ac3 stream from my RME's optical in through ac3dec and
then out the analogue ports of the same RME but am having little success.
i know the optical in works, the ac3 stream coming in is heard as noise from
my analogue outs (using amixer cset to set the input), what i need is to
essentially pipe the incoming stream first into ac3dec and not my outs.

any help in this regard (pointers to other resources, mixer setups, config
files asoundrc, asound.state) would be of great help.

thanks,
Ashendra Singh