I know it's generally considered bad form to answer your own posts, but this
information might be helpful to others, and might prompt more suggestions.

Juhan Leemet wrote (ref: older post by Daniel James):
> You got Audacity to work with M-Audio? I've been trying to do a single track
> overdub from an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 board, using Audacity (1.1.1 or
> 1.1.3, doesn't make any difference) on SuSE 8.2, which includes ALSA
> 0.9.0.cvs20030217. The recording results in a garbled audio track that
> sounds like it has been pitch shifted down an octave, and distorted
> somewhat. No selection for Default Sample Format (16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit
> float) works. ...

Reading other posts on M-Audio (and other) boards, and thinking about this, I
thought I'd try another experiment. It seems that I can record a stereo
"overdub"! I was trying to record the default "mono" "overdub" and that did
not work. My setup connects a microphone (through a tiny Peavey RQ 200 six
channel mini console), which made the mono appear on both L&R channels of the
stereo input to the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 board. So that is my
"workaround": record stereo, split stereo, delete superfluous track/channel.

I still think this is a bug! If alsa and/or audacity require a constraint (no
"mono" only "stereo"), then that should be "forced" through parameter
defaults and selections. However, I'm not exactly sure why (either alsa or
audacity) cannot correctly just select one of the input channels from the
data stream. I guess they just don't know enough about the Audiophile board?
So, should I follow this up on alsa-dev? or with the audiology folks?

I'm curious. Have any of you with any of the other M-Audio boards been able to
record a mono "overdub" (to already existing file(s)) with audacity? In
other words, is this a problem with just my Audiophile board, or with all
M-Audio (and other? ice1712? envy24?) boards?

Suggestions?

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.