Hi all,

I have been struggling for a few weeks now trying to get sound on my
Compaq Presario 1920 laptop.  I was wondering if anyone has had any luck
with this model, or at least could point me in the right direction.  It
uses the Neomagic MagicMedia 256AV which is the snd-nm256 driver.  This
is the output of dmesg whenever I try to load that module:

PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 01:00.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:07.2
nm256: no ac97 is found!
  force the driver to load by passing in the module parameter
    force_ac97=1
  or try sb16 or cs423x drivers instead.
NeoMagic 256 audio soundchip not found or device busy

I tried passing force_ac97=1 but then alsa locks my system every time
it's started.  I have also tried the sb16, cs4232, and cs4231 modules
but none of those work either.  I am running alsa 0.9.6 on gentoo kernel
2.4.20.  If any additional info is needed, let me know.  TIA.

Jon