Thanks for your reply.
'arecord -vv -d 1 -f cd -t wav foobar.wav' just gives me:
Recording WAVE 'foobar.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100
Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Hardware PCM card 0 'Sound Fusion CS46xx' device 0 subdevice 0

Its setup is:
stream       : CAPTURE
access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
format       : S16_LE
subformat    : STD
channels     : 2
rate         : 44100
exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
msbits       : 16
buffer_size  : 16384
period_size  : 512
period_time  : 11609
tick_time    : 10000
tstamp_mode  : NONE
period_step  : 1
sleep_min    : 0
avail_min    : 512
xfer_align   : 512
start_threshold  : 1
stop_threshold   : 16384
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary     : 1073741824
Max peak (1024 samples): 00000 (0x0000) #                    0%
(Last line repeated a bunch of times)

And the WAV file has no sound in it:(
What do I have to do to get this working??
TIA,
Harold