hello,

I'm trying sending this again because it didn't go straight through the first
time even though I am subscribed to the list.

I've set up an old pentium box in my living room to play mp3's through my
hi-fi, tape records to cd and stuff like that. Playback is working fine with
the alsa sbawe module, but I can't work out how to get a decent quality
recording. The card is an isa-pnp soundblaster 32 awe.
The soundcard is plugged into the tape2 output of an old rotel amp. I've also
tried the tape1 output, which works fine when connected to my analogue tape
recorder, so I don't think it's that. I've been trying to do test recordings
from vinyl records by selecting tape2 and phono on the amp, then setting the
line input to capture, and using 'arecord -f cd -t au foo.au'. Something does
get recorded, but it is very distorted, and nowhere near good enough for what
I want. I'm assuming this is because the soundcard's ADC is clipping the
signal.
I've looked for a control in amixer or alsamixer which will set the line
recording level, but nothing works. I have tried:
- using the 'Capture Volume' control. This has only 4 levels, 0-3, and makes
no difference to the recorded sound as far as I can tell. I can't believe
that a decent-ish soundcard like this doesn't have a more sensitive input
gain control than this, so I'm not sure what this control does.
- setting the Line playback volume lower when Line is switched to capture.
This does affect the recording, but not in the way I'd hoped - the signal is
still distorted/clipping, but it just gets harder to hear. (I set the level
back to normal for playback, so it is something in the recording.)

There is another control called 'Line Capture Route' which has four boolean
parameters - I have no idea what this does.

An odd thing happerns when there is a record playing into the Line in input -
if the card is set to capture, there is no sound from Line out, but if the
card is set to playback, a faint trace of the input sound can be heard over
the speakers.

below is a dump of the output from amixer - these settings give a very loud
distorted recording from phono.

andy.

monkey:/home/andy# amixer contents
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='Master Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=31,step=0
  : values=25,25
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='Tone Control - Bass'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=15,step=0
  : values=8,8
numid=5,iface=MIXER,name='Tone Control - Treble'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=15,step=0
  : values=8,8
numid=6,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=31,step=0
  : values=25,25
numid=22,iface=MIXER,name='Synth Tone Control - Bass'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=11,step=0
  : values=5
numid=23,iface=MIXER,name='Synth Tone Control - Treble'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=11,step=0
  : values=9
numid=8,iface=MIXER,name='Synth Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=31,step=0
  : values=0,0
numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='Synth Capture Route'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=4
  : values=off,off,off,off
numid=26,iface=MIXER,name='FM Chorus Depth'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=255,step=0
  : values=0
numid=27,iface=MIXER,name='FM Reverb Depth'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=255,step=0
  : values=0
numid=13,iface=MIXER,name='Line Playback Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=2
  : values=off,off
numid=14,iface=MIXER,name='Line Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=31,step=0
  : values=25,25
numid=12,iface=MIXER,name='Line Capture Route'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=4
  : values=on,off,off,on
numid=10,iface=MIXER,name='CD Playback Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=2
  : values=off,off
numid=11,iface=MIXER,name='CD Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=31,step=0
  : values=0,0
numid=9,iface=MIXER,name='CD Capture Route'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=4
  : values=off,off,off,off
numid=16,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Playback Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=off
numid=17,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=31,step=0
  : values=0
numid=15,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=2
  : values=off,off
numid=18,iface=MIXER,name='PC Speaker Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=3,step=0
  : values=0
numid=19,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=3,step=0
  : values=3,3
numid=20,iface=MIXER,name='Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=3,step=0
  : values=0,0
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='3D Enhancement Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=off
numid=21,iface=MIXER,name='Auto Mic Gain'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=off
numid=24,iface=MIXER,name='Chorus Mode'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=31,step=0
  : values=2
numid=25,iface=MIXER,name='Reverb Mode'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=31,step=0
  : values=4
numid=1,iface=PCM,name='16-bit DMA Allocation'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw---,values=1,items=3
  ; Item #0 'Auto'
  ; Item #1 'Playback'
  ; Item #2 'Capture'
  : values=0

P.S. I've gone back to OSS for the time being, because this does have an input
level control with a decent range on it, but I'd still like to get alsa
working on this machine if possible, so help would be appreciated.

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which