> I've been using ALSA with OSS emulation for playing audio with XMMS and
> KDE. I've been trying to get native ALSA running now that XMMS 1.2.8
> includes ALSA output by default. After some initial problems (there's no
> PCM mixer for my soundcard, and it took a while to guess Master), I can
> get XMMS to play audio.
>
> However, it plays too fast. Looking at the configurations, I believe that
> it's playing 44.1 kHz audio at 48 kHz.
>
> Any ideas? My soundcard is a powermac DACA on an iBook.

So I got a tip from someone else, and with some experimentation, I figured out
the problem (I think). The XMMS ALSA audio output plugin has some parameters
for Buffer Time and Period Time. The default Period Time was 50ms. When I
bumped it to 100ms, the sound is perfect. I think that's the minimum for my
card, because at 80 and 90ms, the audio would repeat on a less-than-a-second
portion of the somg.

This seems like a wierd parameter to leave up to the user. Is there a better
default than 50ms. Or better yet, is there a way to determine which Period
Time is appropriate for a given sound card? I don't see anything in
/proc/asound.

I'd like to help the XMMS team to improve what they have, if possible.

Frank