> > > I just bought a nforce2-MCT board, an asus a7n8x deluxe. It performs

> > > it's depending on ac97 codec, but in general it should work.

> > What version is needed? I just install the latest stable, 0.9.6 and the
> > spdif doesn't show in alsamixer, or maybe it shows but with a name I don't
> > recognize...

> try the cvs version.  there are many fixes.
>
> also note that spdif won't work on OSS emulation.
> but the program like xine should work fine.

I tried it last night, but it did not work.
I still don't hav any spdif output.
When running : mplayer -ao alsa9:spdif audiodump.wav
I get the following errors :
      Playing audiodump.wav
      Audio file detected.
      Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
      AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 176400->176400 (1411.2 kbit)
      Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm:pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
      Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
      AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, little endian signed int
      AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
      alsa-init: testing and bugreports are welcome.
      alsa-init: requested format: 44100 Hz, 2 channels, Signed 16-bit (Little-
      Endian)
      alsa-init: soundcard set to spdif
      ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1055:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D1p
      failed:   No such device
      alsa-init: playback open error: No such device
      Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
      Audio: no sound
      Video: no video

but /proc/asound/card0/ac97# is :
      Capabilities     :
      DAC resolution   : 20-bit
      ADC resolution   : 18-bit
      3D enhancement   : Realtek 3D Stereo Enhancement

      Current setup
      Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
      POP path         : pre 3D
      Sim. stereo      : off
      3D enhancement   : off
      Loudness         : off
      Mono output      : MIX
      Mic select       : Mic1
      ADC/DAC loopback : off
      Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=1 AMAP LDAC SDAC CDAC DSA=0 SPDIF DRA VRA
      Extended status  : SPCV LDAC SDAC CDAC SPDIF=3/4 VRA
      PCM front DAC    : 48000Hz
      PCM Surr DAC     : 48000Hz
      PCM LFE DAC      : 48000Hz
      PCM ADC          : 48000Hz
      SPDIF Control    : Consumer PCM Copyright Category=0x0 Generation=0
                         Rate=48kHz

I have no idea where it can come from.
I am a newbie concerning Linux sound

Thanks in advance !