On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Fri, 3 Oct 2003 03:29:32 +0200 (CEST),
> Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >  I'd like to know how should I write the asoundrc in order to
> > record the audio stream that comes from an OSS application
> > writing in /dev/dsp to a file or equivalently to create a virtual
> > capture device from which an application can record. To be clear:
> >
> > - OSS application A writes to /dev/dsp
> > - asoundrc routes and/or duplicates A's stream to a file or too a
> >   virtual pcm devices (say pcm.oss_capture) which can be opened
> >   by a recording application B.
>
> first, you'll need to start the oss application via alsa oss wrapper
> library (aoss).
> for recording to a file, you can use "file" plugin.
> i don't think there is a virtual pcm tunnel (yet).

Thank you very much for the hint. It seems to work, but I don't
understand how to specify the format of the output file. For
example doing:

aplay -D file:output foo.wav

produces a raw data file named "output", and that's ok. But:

aplay -D file:output.wav,wav foo.wav

exits with error "ALSA lib pcm_file.c:479:(snd_pcm_file_open) file
format wav is unknown aplay: main:484: audio open error: Invalid
argument".

Which formats are allowed and with what names?

Best regards,

Free Ekanayaka