Fredrik Tolf wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>  > Use "aplay something.wav", or "aplay -Dplughw:X,Y something.wav",
>
> I did that, and to my surprise it yielded the same results,
> ie. multiple aplay processes playing "short" streams blocked each
> other while "long" streams wouldn't affect anything at all.

There are informational files below /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/subX/,
where X is the subdevice number (your SB has 32). Please post the
contents of hw_params, info, status, and sw_params for both "short"
streams that are used when blocking (I guess the first two), and for
both "long" streams not blocking.

> Btw., is there any "direct" way of natively playing streams in ALSA,
> ie. like /dev/dsp in OSS?

Tools like aplay are the most direct way.

HTH
Clemens