Clemens Ladisch writes:
 > Fredrik Tolf wrote:
 > > Clemens Ladisch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 > >  > Use "aplay something.wav", or "aplay -Dplughw:X,Y something.wav",
 > >
 > > I did that, and to my surprise it yielded the same results,
 > > ie. multiple aplay processes playing "short" streams blocked each
 > > other while "long" streams wouldn't affect anything at all.
 >
 > There are informational files below /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/subX/,
 > where X is the subdevice number (your SB has 32). Please post the
 > contents of hw_params, info, status, and sw_params for both "short"
 > streams that are used when blocking (I guess the first two), and for
 > both "long" streams not blocking.

Some more info. I just tried the following command (test.wav is a
"long" stream and click01.wav is a "short" one):

aplay test.wav & aplay test.wav & aplay click01.wav & aplay click01.wav

So, all playbacks start (more or less) simultaneously. test.wav wasn't
blocked at all. In fact, they were playing so simultaneously that you
could hardly even hear any distortion due to phase difference. The
click01.wav playbacks were blocking each other, though. The first one
started playing as the test.wav playbacks started. In the light of
this, I guess that a "short" stream is qualified by the entire stream
fitting in one playback buffer