I have a very simple question whose answer is not at all clear to me,
even after reading all the ALSA documentation I can find.

I have got the driver, utils and lib directories, and have built
everything according to the instructions in the soundcard matrix....

My question is this: just what do I have to do to make ALSA work?

I don't want to do anything complex. I just want sound out of my
computer! I want to be able to listen to CDs, soundfiles etc. I don't
run a recording studio; I don't have a 4-way four sound system
connected. I just want sound!

Se! I told you it was a simple question, but I'm buggered if I can find
what I now need to do. Any help/pointers would be gratefully accepted.

John