system specs:
- AMD XP 1800+ processor
- MSI K7Turbo moederboard
- VIA chipset
- linux mandrake 9.2
- ALSA 0.9.8
- Promise RAID
- kernel 2.4.23-pre9

My sound in games like wolfenstein and quake3 dies after a couple of seconds
i have great sound but then it stops

i used dmesg and snipped this from it:

devfs_mk_dir(snd): using old entry in dir: c12c85c0 ""
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0c.0
Vortex: hardware init.... <6>done.
SDAC detected <3>Vortex: vortex_fifo_setadbctrl fail
Vortex: vortex_fifo_setadbctrl fail
Vortex: vortex_fifo_setadbctrl fail      (# this failures shows up when i stop
Vortex: vortex_fifo_setadbctrl fail           and start alsasound after
Vortex: vortex_fifo_setadbctrl fail           soundcrash in wolfenstein)
Vortex: vortex_fifo_setadbctrl fail

lspci -vv :

00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 2 (rev fe)
        Subsystem: Diamond Multimedia Systems Monster Sound II
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 32 (1000ns min, 3000ns max), cache line size 08
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
        Region 0: Memory at df100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Region 1: I/O ports at b000 [size=8]
        Region 2: I/O ports at b400 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

i have to stop alsasound and restart it to get my sound back
and have to do modprobe snd-pcm-oss to get it to work again in wolfenstein

aplay is also not playing correctly some wav files (for example icq sounds
Message.wav has an echo,
 with aplay -Dplug:dmix /usr/share/licq/sounds/icq/Message.wav the wav sounded
ok echo is gone

esdplay can play all wav files (when module snd-pcm-oss is loaded)

does anyone know a solution?

Erik