Frank Barknecht wrote:

>> sndconfig returns some stupid error related to via82cxxx_audio -
>> this is not a module from alsa, or is it?
>
> No, it's not. As far as I know sndconfig only configures OSS modules.
> Use alsaconf for ALSA.

But alsaconf is not configuring ALSA after I install ALSA. I have
no idea why. I have no idea how I can see what's going on.

Everything seems fine during the ./configure, make, make install,
and alsaconf phases, but then when I want to play something,
either nothing happens, or I get back some crazy error messages.

Alberto Monteiro