Hi,
    Simple question:
Does anybody have a Tascam US428 running on Alsa 1.0.0(rc1+)?
I'd love to get some ideas: shell scripts, observations, etc.

    I've compiled it and the modules load using "modprobe
snd-usb-usx2y". My ALI 5451 is working fine. I know that I need to load
the firmware-- that is where I get stuck. Here are relevant parts of
/var/log/messages:

## power up the Tascam US428 (clock is f'ed up-- I do have a real life)
Jan 15 02:57:40 laptop kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-1, assigned
address 3
Jan 15 02:57:40 laptop kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod
0x1604/0x8000) is
not claimed by any active driver.
Jan 15 02:57:43 laptop /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup snd-usb-usx2y for
USB product 1604/8000/100

## run 'modprobe snd-usb-usx2y' manually
Jan 15 03:02:02 laptop kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
snd-usb-audio
Jan 15 03:02:02 laptop kernel: usb.c: registered new driver
snd-usb-usx2y

## cat /proc/sound/cards
0 [A5451          ]: ALI5451 - ALI 5451
                     ALI 5451 at 0x1000, irq 5

## output of 'man -M/usr/man:/usr/local/man usx2yloader':
No manual entry for usx2yloader

## 'usx2loader --help':
FPGA loader for Tascam US-X2Y
version 0.3
usage: usx2yloader [-c card] [-D device] [-u usb-device]

## ----thanks alot. Even I can write man pages...

    Re: "shittiness" thread: I've become frustrated with this aspect of
the ALSA Project. The card is listed as supported, but documentation for
actually getting it to work does not exist. A Google search leads to a
recursive set of links about, well, the fact that it works...

   This is a very capable piece of hardware and I was very happy to see
it listed in ALSA. I bought it thinking that I would have to use Mac OS
X (not too bad a prospect) or Win(.*) (too painful to think about).
Specifically, I am trying to craft an audio workstation with Ardour,
Sweep and Audacity. I am also working on a realtime performance system
using an acoustic piano and PD with LADSPA plugins. All the applications
seem to work great, but using my (expensive, for me) hardware has turned
out to be the real challenge. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Marquardt