I agree, the .asoundrc docs are great, and I've been having a lot of fun
finally delving into the various plugins. The flexibility is truly
amazing!

  As for the insulting nature of too many posts here (and I don't mean
those having a decent discussion of ways to improve things), all I can say
is that I've been using ALSA since 0.5.x, and its performance has been
flawless. PCM, MIDI, the whole thing. It's allowed me to do things, even
with a cheap sound card, that are impossible on any other platform. That's
my experience, I'm sure other people with different hardware have had
different experiences.

  Yes, I've had problems updating from time to time, but the results have
been well worth it. I salute the developers and users who've devoted so
much time and talent to this wonderful project.

  All I can say to anyone is, if you don't like it, don't use it. And
hopefully this list will return to something pertaining to its intended
purpose instead of a rant by those wanting Linux to become just another
brain-dead Windoze clone. That, hopefully, will never happen.

  Again, I'm not referring to those wishing to improve things, we all need
more of that attitude. In the meantime, I'm going to unsub and check
things again in a month or so.

  Thanks to all for the many *positive* posts, criticisms and suggestions.

  Take care,
  Steve