On 2004-01-20 17:09:35 -0800 Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I guess it depends. I would be _quite_ shocked if I played a stereo
soundfile and I got output over all eight speakers of a couple of setups
I have around here.

I understand that, having worked in semi-pro recording facilities before. But an awful lot of people aren't thinking about how many channels of data are in their MP3 files or on their CDs. They expect (rightly or wrongly) that they'll have a better experience if they have more than 2 monitors. They got a new set of 5.1 or 7.1 monitors for Christmas and they want to try out all their music on them.