On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:48:15 -0500 (EST)
"Jason M. Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm in the process of trying to get ALSA up and running on an RH9
> The encoders (Helix, from real, and darkice (for ogg encoding)),
> support OSS/Free style devices.  So, is there a way to fork the input
> stream and make two virtual OSS/Free devices under ALSA?  Moderate
> reading of the documentation and WIKIs didn't yeild much.

Hi, to share a capture stream between several apps, you can use the
dsnoop plugin. You will then also have to tweak the OSS emu to use a pcm
device defined in your .asoundrc.

Read the pages about Oss-emu:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=OssEmulation

and about dmix [not the same as dsnoop, but the genral workings should
become clear]:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin

and the .asoundrc documentation:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=.asoundrc

There's a new plugin called asym which can be used to combine both dmix
and dsnoop into a single pcm device. This can be very useful. Search
this ML for "asym", since we don't have any info about it in either the
wiki nor the official alsa docs [as far as i know]..

The info is there. You only need to do some more digging.. Depending on
your hardware and how these apps talk to the oss devices your milage may
vary though..

Flo

--
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/florianschmidt.htm