> Hi, to share a capture stream between several apps, you can use the
> dsnoop plugin. You will then also have to tweak the OSS emu to use a pcm
> device defined in your .asoundrc.
>
> Read the pages about Oss-emu:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=OssEmulation

Got there, I think I've got OSS emulation working, for the most part.

> and about dmix [not the same as dsnoop, but the genral workings should
> become clear]:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin
>
> and the .asoundrc documentation:
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=.asoundrc

Got there, and I'm guessing the general way is to use dsnoop more or less
exactly like dmix?

> The info is there. You only need to do some more digging.. Depending on
> your hardware and how these apps talk to the oss devices your milage may
> vary though..

It has.  I've gotten to the point where I can record (the trick with using
hexdump on http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=AlsaTips was particularly
helpful), but things get all screwy when I throw dsnoop into the mix.

% arecord -D hw:0 -d 10 -f cd -t wav file.wav

Works fine, and I get a spiffy recording out.

% arecord -D plug:dsnoop -d 10 -f cd -t wav file.wav

Gives me garbage.  It sounds like a little snip (like, .1 seconds worth)
of what's coming in, repeated over and over again for 10 seconds.  My OSS
expreiment with dsnoop gave the same results (which makes me think the OSS
emulation part is right).

My .asoundrc looks like this...

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dsnoop"
}

# mixer0
ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

...any suggestions?  Thanks for all the help so far.

--
Jason M. Sullivan, WXDU computer guy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]