On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 22:16, Allan Peda wrote:

> I'm archiving my DVDs to Vorbis files, and now I want
> to hook up an older machine (PII) to my stereo, and
> play stuff using zinf or mplayer (or anything else you
> recommend).

> I want:
> 1.) High quality sound
> 2.) S/P DIF digital output
> 3.) Could it be USB2 (if there is a real advantage to
> that)?
>
> Recommendations?  If possible please make note of the
> modules I need to ensure are loading.

I find sound cards built around VIA's Envy24HT and CMedia's 8738 to work
well for analog output with alsa on x86 platforms.  These are reliable,
and have good signal-to-noise ratio and frequency response, especially
the Envy24HT.  Chaintech's A-710 Envy24HT card is quite cost-effective
for US buyers; I paid around US$30 at newegg.com.  7.1 analog channels,
line in, mic in, SPDIF optical out (which works with alsa as do the 7.1
analog outputs).

The alsa hardware module to use depends on the soundcard chipset.  On
the Chaintech card it's snd-ice1724 , for cmedia 8738 it's snd-cmipci .
A correctly set up modules.conf alsa section will load several other
modules for pcm, sequencer, midi, oss emulation, and other alsa
features.  See the alsa docs or docs that come with your distribution.

I use Debian alsa binaries except for the alsa hardware drivers that I
compile from source packaged by Debian to match my kernel version.  I
only have to make one manual modules.conf change to insert an "alias
snd-card-0 snd-ice1724" line.

-- good luck in shopping and setting up, SP