Hi,

I am trying to tune up recording both from MIC and line-in
on my RedHat9 kernel 2.4.20-8 configured with Alsa 0.9.7.

Recording from MIC/Line-in works, but the sound sample is
*overdriven* (for lack of better term). The high-frequency
samples are cut off making the whole recording sound artificially
metallic (if that makes sense). I'm sure there is something simple
I am missing.

Can someone, please, look at my configuration and tell me
what the problem might be?

'alsactl' reports 171 controls. I would be more then happy to
provide the values for those controls that actually matter
in the recording path.

% cat /proc/asound/version

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.7.
Compiled on Feb  1 2004 for kernel 2.4.20-8 with versioned symbols.

% cat /proc/asound/card0/ac97#0

0-0/0: TriTech TR28602

Capabilities     :
DAC resolution   : 16-bit
ADC resolution   : 16-bit
3D enhancement   : No 3D Stereo Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +20dB [+20dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off

% cat /proc/asound/pcm

00-00: emu10k1 : EMU10K1 : playback 32 : capture 1
00-01: emu10k1 mic : EMU10K1 MIC : capture 1
00-02: emu10k1 efx : EMU10K1 EFX : capture 1
00-03: emu10k1 : EMU10K1 FX8010 : playback 8

Thanks in advance,
Vlad
Vladislav Grinchenko       http://home.comcast.net/~3rdshift/
                                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

      Focus on quality, and productivity will follow.