Hmm... I'm using Gentoo 1.4 with 2.6.1 (ALSA .97) and it works great. Try emerging the ALSA-libs... and make sure you get a mixer to unmute the channels... I'm definitely no expert. Hope that helped.

--Jason

Mark Knecht wrote:

Hi,
 Can anyone explain how to install Alsa 1.0.2 (or higher) under
Gentoo-2.6.1? I'm using gentoo-dev-sources which installs 1.0.0rc2 and
the emerge system will not install alsa-driver over the top. I tried the
patches from the Alsa site but they did not seem in patch cleanly
against this 1.0.0rc2 version of Alsa. (Or I chose the wrong patch.)

  Clues much appreciated. There are a couple of long standing bugs with
the Via 82xx I wanted to file in the bug report system but apparently
should not until I upgrade.

Thanks,
Mark