On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Gabriel Ebner wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 7. März 2004 16:50 schrieb Rich Drewes:
> > Thanks for your reply, but as I posted in my original message, I do have
> > all the appropriate snd-xxx-oss emulation modules installed,
> Stupid question, are they loaded?

Yes, my first message showed the output of lsmod, with all necessary
modules present (I think).

> > and I also
> > have the Alsa OSS emulation libraries installed.  The /dev/dsp device node
> > does exist.  However, I cannot get OSS apps to work unless I invoke them
> > with the aoss wrapper.
> Any errors?  Does dmesg complain about anything?

dmesg does show the following:

intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49612 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 48000
unable to register OSS mixer device 0:0
unable to register OSS PCM device 0:0

Also, cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat shows that not even an OSS mixer is
active, apparently:

----
$ cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.2c emulation code)
Kernel: Linux adsl-64-173-202-222.dsl.renocs.nvbell.net 2.6.3-4mdk #1 Tue
Mar 2 07:26:13 CET 2004 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
Intel ICH5 at 0xfe77b800, irq 17

Audio devices:
0: Intel ICH5 (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
----

What config is sndstat referring to?  /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf doesn't
contain any references to OSS devices, but I can't find any doc that says
it should.  Presumably alsaconf should set things up properly . . . it
does at least get the OSS emulation modules inserted.

Thanks again for your suggestions,
Rich