Bob van der Poel wrote:
> I can't seem to get the sequencer (external midi) to work with
> alsa.

> alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
> alias sound-slot-0 es1371

The latter should be snd-ens1371, too.

> Running pmidi shows that only the raw ports are available:

The raw ports would be shown by "amidi -l".

>    pmidi -l
>    Port     Client name                       Port name
>    64:0     ES1371 - Rawmidi 0                ES1371

Port 64:0 is a sequencer port that routes its data to/from the raw
port.

> Using 'playmidi' to play a midi file to my keyboard works,

Then the port works.  I guess playing with pmidi and aplaymidi works,
too.

> but it doesn't sound all that great.

That would be a problem with the synthesizer of your keyboard.

Regards,
Clemens