On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 18:50, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Tom Schutter hat gesagt: // Tom Schutter wrote:
> > But why does "aplay test.wav" give no sound at all?
>
> Hhm. Normally aplay witouth any selected device plays over the device
> called "default" which is the same as "plughw:0" in the default
> configuration. So it *should* play, but doesn't. Does "aplay -Ddefault
> test.wav" play?
>
> > <rant>
> > I have spent hours trying to get sound to work, using aplay as my test.
> > No sound no matter what I do.  It was not until I read the FAQ at
> > http://alsa.opensrc.org/faq/ that I even knew about "-Dfront".  The man
> > page gave no hint about "-Dfront".  No other page on the net about
> > setting up ALSA that I read mentions "-Dfront".  With no "-D" option,
> > aplay does not give quite verbose messages.  In fact the output to the
> > terminal from "aplay test.wav" and "aplay -Dplug:front test.wav" is
> > identical.
> > </rant>
>
> Ah, well, the missing documentation... ALSA is a really complex system
> and quite something else than the old OSS was. You can get a list of
> the defined devices with "aplay -L". This list can change though if
> you add something to an ~/.asoundrc (normally not needed). So it's a
> bit hard to document in a man page. In fact, the list of devices is
> really something in flux, so to say. But you're right: the predefined
> devises could need some better, centralized documentation.

I had added /etc/asound.conf as per directions that I found at:
  http://www.wlug.org.nz/NForce2Notes
This asound.conf changed the default PCM device to use the S/PDIF
output, which I am not using.  At the time that I added it, I had
another set of problems that prevented me from getting sound.
After removing /etc/asound.conf, aplay now works!

After going through this experience, I think one resource that is
missing is a trouble shooting guide (or maybe I just didn't find it).  A
number of items in http://alsa.opensrc.org/faq/ cover some of the
issues, and are a start, but an official trouble shooting guide would be
better.

Thanks for all of the help!
--
Tom Schutter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>