On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Tommi Sakari Uimonen wrote:

> > > and you have set the dac volumes up?
> >
> > I tried every combination of buttons/sliders I could think of.  I have
> > been trying to just play a CD through the card using a number of
> > different CD player apps as well as XMMS etc..  If you can tell me the
> > settings for doing that I will try it.
>
> "just play cd" is actually not the easiest case. Since 2496 does not have
> cd-audio cable connector (directly from cd to sound card, like most SB's)
> it requires that the player reads the cd to data and then outputs it to
> soundcard. In xmms it's some plugin whose name I just can't remeber right
> now.
>
> Simplest case should be playing some wav file with aplay.
>
> Keep the envy24control open and aplay something. If you see action in
> the vu meters, at least something is working. If the dac volumes are up
> and pcm out 1&2 is routed to hw outs, you should be hearing stuff.

On the envy24control the PCM Out 1-8 are all pegged.  The HW In and S/PDIF
show nothing and the Digital Mixer shows nothing.

What comes out of the speaker is what I call a digital noise.  It has a
mid-frequency buzz/hiss and a lower frequency beating noise.

It's when the noise is playing that the PCM outs are pegged.  The patchbay
settings have to be on H/W Out 1/PCM Out 1 and H/W Out 2/PCM Out 2 and
when H/W out 1 is on either S/PDIF In L or Digital Mix L.  The last two
settings make the noise come out of only one channel.  A few various other
permutations can make the noise play as well, otherwize only silence
happens.  This is all while I play a wav file with aplay (aplay song.wav)
Aplay says: Playing WAVE 'ladysonly2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian,
Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo.

> (And you have tested your amplifier connections etc..)

The card works fine with both Mac OS X, and OS 9, though I've only tried
playing DVDs and CDs.  I hope someday to get hooked up to my MIDI
keyboards but haven't yet.

> Tommi

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe