> At present, I don't have an ALSA config file -- I'm using the stock
> configuration under Debian.

I suspect in this case that the ALSA default is just to map the first
two channels to /dev/dsp0.

> The Delta44 card appears to be recognized with channels 1 and 2
> mapping to the left and right channels of /dev/audio.

Assuming the OSS emulation does map more than one card, I assume you've
tried /dev/dsp1?  You may need to make the device file by hand.

If that doesn't work, have a look at the OSS emulation page here:

  http://alsa.opensrc.org/OssEmulation

It looks like "aoss" is what you want, as it can pass a /dev/dsp device
to an ALSA PCM device.  This means all you should have to do is create
four PCM devices in asound.conf (or possibly two stereo devices) that
each access only one channel of the card, and then use "aoss" to map
each of these to a /dev/dsp device.

> I tried playing with an .alsarc file (I think that is the proper name)
> some time ago, but could never get it to work so gave up and have
> lived with the two-channel limit until now.

I've been using /etc/asound.conf so my changes are global, but yes, it's
the same thing.

Cheers,
Adam.