On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 05:28 +0200, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> "
> The difference is that the driver code is executed by the
> host CPU, while the firmware code is executed by the device
> "
>
> - kinda funny :-).
>
> OK, I propose to run a dual core or dual CPU computer.
>
> One CPU would be for opens source software and the other - for closed
> source software.
>
> Now, are the CPUs created equal ?
> And are the CPU and IDE driver controller created equal ?
>
> If not, why :-) ?

You'd have to ask a lawyer.  It depends on how "linking" is defined and
you would have to go to case law for that.  The consensus, presumably
based on what the kernel developers' lawyers have told them, is that the
line is drawn between "driver" and "firmware" - firmware is not
considered to be linked into the kernel, as it runs on a different CPU
on the other side of a bus, while drivers are considered linked into the
kernel, as they run on the same CPU in the same context as kernel code.

Lee