Lee Revell wrote:
On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 17:21 +0000, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
It's a real pain to compile those two packages for 32bit in a 64bit environment. I needed to recompile both packages because they'd break TeamSpeak (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_and_TeamSpeak_on_amd64) and I can't get the newest versions (1.0.11-rc2) of both packages to compile. Also, different versions are incompatible so whenever I upgrade the 64bit version it most likely will break my 32bit applications.
The best solution would be to have multilib support like in glibc.

Please fix this.

Would this benefit any non-proprietary applications?  If not, I doubt
anyone is very interested in fixing it.  Seems like it would be easier
for TeamSpeak to release a 64 bit build.

mplayer, many codecs are not available for free, mplayer uses windows dlls to decode such streams, and many people use a 32bit version of mplayer because there aren't any 64bit libs for windows codecs..