On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Christoph Burger-Scheidlin wrote:

On Friday 07 April 2006 14:19, Joel Roth wrote:
It seems like this is a FAQ, but having read and tried
various methods from the Alsa wiki, I find myself unable to
influence the order of my sound cards. Which will be card 0
and which card 1 after reboot is not determinate.
I attempted to make static assignments.

Is it important to specify the order of the soundcards (e.g. using OSS
applications such as skype), or do you just need to have a unique name for
each soundcard? If so, you can just use the names of the sound cards as they
are printed in /proc/asound/cards like so:

It is almost always important to have at least a consistant order. Ie, one
of the soundcards is ALWAYS number 0. The problem is that the systems seem
to often do it randomly so that one cannot plan anything. This is horrible.

/proc/asound/cards:
  0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                       Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at 0x24000800, irq 11
  1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem
                       Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem at 0x1400, irq 11

/etc/asound.con:
  # CARD DEFINITIONS
  pcm.intel       { type hw; card I82801DBICH4 }
  ctl.intel       { type hw; card I82801DBICH4 }

  pcm.intelModem  { type hw; card Modem }
  ctl.intelModem  { type hw; card Modem }

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]