On Saturday 08 April 2006 18:51, you wrote:
> > Is it important to specify the order of the soundcards (e.g. using OSS
> > applications such as skype), or do you just need to have a unique name
> > for each soundcard? If so, you can just use the names of the sound cards
> > as they are printed in /proc/asound/cards like so:
>
> It is almost always important to have at least a consistant order. Ie, one
> of the soundcards is ALWAYS number 0. The problem is that the systems seem
> to often do it randomly so that one cannot plan anything. This is horrible.

I use card names quite happily and never bothered with the underlying devices.
The only problems occur with things like skype where you cannot use aoss. So
card names already give you a way of individually addressing each card and
enough to plan with. I have to admit that I don't know how identical cards
are handled.