I have to chime in here and say I can't stand mailing lists.  Most web forums these days are far from clumsy.  Now searching the archive of the mailing lists, now thats clumsy.  Off the top of my head, one thing that would be great with a forum is subcategories.  Imagine having sections like, pci soundcards, onboard sound, usb soundcards, dmix issues, jack issues, and a howto section dealing with stuff like multiple soundcards etc.  Mailing lists are just flat dumb lists with little to no ability to manipulate the data.  Maybe the are better for devs, but imho they suck for end users.  Look at the great community a distro like ubuntu has, one of the main reasons is the forums.

On 5/22/06, Joel Roth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 11:09:34AM +0200, Asbj??rn S??b?? wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 03:27:54PM +1000, Terry North wrote:
> > Is there any support for a forum as an alternative to
> > the user list, which is such a clumsy, fragmented and
> > disorganised format?
>
> I am completely against it.  With a mailing list, all messages get
> delivered to my inbox, grouped and sorted after my wishes.  And if I
> need older history, I can always check the archives.
>
> Web-forums, on the other hand, are in my opnion alomst useless.  One
> must go to each of the forums (remember that many of us  subscribe to
> several lists), use unfamiliar interfaces, can not sort or group
> messages as I like, can not easily see what messages are new since I was
> there last time ...
>
> By all means, let us keep the list.
>
> Asbjørn

Mailing lists are also friendlier than web-forums to
those using braille or text-to-speech systems.
--
Joel Roth