On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 03:07 +0300, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> One of really nice human features is the ability to understand other
> person's reason.
>
> I want to be able to install updated (ALSA or any Linux for that matter)
> driver
> with no more clicks/keystrokes I need under Windows - however much I dislike
> Windows. This is my reason.
>
> If present Linux development kernel does not allow me to do this, then
> the model is at fault.

Are you familiar with "cost-benefit analysis"?

Cost:  Linux kernel development would have to be frozen for years at a
time.  Many developers would get bored and move on to hack another OS
with a faster development cycle.  Any features which no one envisioned
at the time of the last release would be delayed for years or not
implemented at all as the developers would not have the patience to wait
years for the next merge window and would move on.

Benefit:  It would be slightly easier to install out of tree drivers.

Lee