On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 05:32 -0400, Andrew K. Bressen wrote:
> Thanks for the answers!
>
> Unfortunately, the magic "-P default:0" incantation did not do it;
> jackd still fails five of six tests I tried.
>
> I have three apps I'm using to test jackd:
> ecasound, xmms' jack driver, and xmms' libjackasyn driver.

You're really trying to do something that JACK was never intended to do.
JACK is meant to be used with all JACK aware applications.  It was never
meant to share the soundcard - JACK does its own mixing of all clients
output.

> with jackd launched via "jackd -d alsa" with no other audio apps running,
> all three test apps work.
>
> launched via "jackd -d alsa -P default:0" with no other audio apps
> running, only ecasound will produce sound.
>
> launched via "jackd -d alsa -P default:0" with other audio apps
> running, none of the three will produce sound.
>
> in each case where an app does not produce sound,
> what happens instead is that jackd consumes 100% of the available cpu
> time until killed. the app can be shot first, but jackd won't notice.

What ALSA version?

> any other suggestions?
>
> Also, how might I have found the default:0 notation myself?
> Is there some way to get alsa to enumerate the devices it knows about?
> The string "default:0" does not appear in "aplay -l" output,
> "aplay -L" output, or anywhere in /proc/asound/...

It's a known problem that ALSA has no working device enumeration scheme.