--- Lee Revell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You can blacklist cx88_alsa to prevent it from being
> loaded.

That does work.  Putting this set of commands into a
script you run w/ sudo also works:
modprobe -r cx88_alsa
modprobe -r snd-hda-intel
modprobe snd-hda-intel
modprobe cx88-alsa

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfebd8000 irq 217
 1 [CX8811         ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8811
                      Conexant CX8811 at 0xf8000000

Is there any way to get modules.conf to do this,
because I'd like to keep both cards available?
There's a section in it that seems to address badly
behaved drivers like this by forcing them into a weird
index that is not zero.  I added cx88_alsa to it in
the hopes it would push that driver to a non-zero
index, but it doesn't seem to work:
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options snd-bt87x index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2