On Sat, 24 Nov 2007, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

> Hi Gene Heskett!
>
> On 2007.11.23 at 11:56:56 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote next:
>
>>> Anyway, in analog mode, are you sure there is no option to switch off
>>> bandwidth filter?
>>
>> No one in their right mind would want to do that as the aliasing would drive
>> you up a wall.  The other delay distortions the filter might give are 100's
>> of times more tolerable to listen to.
>
> Er.. I meant in 96khz mode. Or in 48khz. I understood original letter as
> if the card has that bandwidth limitation on any sampling frequency, and
> this is a problem. Of course at 44.1khz D->A conversion it's desired to
> have something like that. Not that it matters in digital mode, since
> it's up to DAC filters.
>
> PS a bit of OT: I'm 24, and I barely hear 18khz (in headphones), unless
> it's VERY loud - I can hear only up to 17500-17800 clearly at average
> volume level. Is there something wrong with my ears or it should be like
> this?

That is quite normal It is in fact good hearing (although many kids can
hear up to 22-25 kHz). And it will get worse, especially if you like
listening to music on your headphones. Almost all headphone users have
their headphones cranked up WAY to loud, and that destroys the nerve cells
in the ear. A bus, going up a hill, has sound levels inside of the order
of 80dB and in order to hear the music people crank up their heaphones to
90 or 100 dB. After only a few years of that your threshold will be down to
14kHz then 8kHz then 3kHz. With any luck you will effectively be deaf by the
time you are 40, and can join the ranks of almost all rock musicians.