On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Rene Herman wrote:

> On 25-11-07 17:17, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
>
>>  On 2007.11.25 at 15:22:59 +0100, Rene Herman wrote next:
>>
>>> That 16 kHz -60dB is just about my threshold with good headphones, good card
>>> set to 0 dB and external amplication cranked up. -57 I hear always, at -60
>>> it's a little flaky. At those levels, 12-0dB actively hurts...
>>
>> Well it's not like it means a lot, without knowing resulting loudness of
>> the signal
>
> Yes, that was the intro. dBSPL is the objective measure, but what that ends
> up as for any setting of slider anywhere is dependent on each component in
> the path, including the final one (the headphones).
>
> My headphone amp has a dB scale that I can adjust from 0 to -infinity and
> while with the specific attached headphones it's very loud at 0, it's not
> soo insanely loud that I consider it complete madness. Tolerable for short
> periods of time with regular music that is. From that, I assume it's
> probably somewhere between 110 and 120 dBSPL for 0 dBFS (*).
>
> (*) dB Full Scale, with 0 being the maximum. Good CDs are mastered at around
> (max) -12 dbFS average although unfortunately since 2000 or so the music
> industry has completely lost their senses and you nowadays find quite a few
> CDs at as bad as -6 dBFS average meaning you have exactly one bit left for
> your entire dynamic range, which you then have to range-compress to fit it in!
>
> Google "Loudness War" and write to your senator(s)... those idiots are
> destroying modern music.

And your senator is supposed to do what? Pass a law saying that clipping is
illegal? Maybe we can pass another that states that distortion is illegal,
and get rid of all those fuzz boxes on electric guitars.
And throw anyone in jail who screams, since when you shout or speak loudly
there is lots of distortion in your vocal chords.