On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 06:40:20 +0100
Rene Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 01-12-07 06:12, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 02:15:55 +0100
> > Rene Herman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Hey, don't apologise, I'm enjoying these messages. I do absolutely need to
> >> comment on that last bit there though as all the hype I'm _ever_ hearing
> >> is
> >> quite the other way around -- how old analogue is so obviously better then
> >> anything coined in the last 30 years that not agreeing with such means
> >> your
> >> hearing just has to be markedly inferior.
> >>
> >> Accusing the digital side of hype is just a bit too much to take for
> >> someone
> >> who's had to suffer the vast amount of rabid nonsense some people without
> >> even a _beginning_ of clue about either digital or analogue technology
> >> will
> >> gladly spew while waving the bill from their audio equipment in the air.
> >>
> >> As in, bad environment to make _that_ particular argument I'm afraid ;-)
>
> > I don't know.
> >
> > However much I love analog world, there are facts I can't deny.
> >
> > Say, Janis Joplins' "Pearl" (1970 ?) sounds much worse that Judy Collins'
> > "Judy sings Dylan" (1997).
> >
> > Likewise, "Judy sings Dylan" sounds better than her "Judith"
> > (1975) - non-HDCD edition.
> >
> > Likewise, "Rolling Stones" "No Security" (1997) sounds much better than
> > their "Let it bleed" (1969).
> >
> > I'm saying that analog quality can be much poorer than digital one.
>
> I believe you may have misparsed me -- I absolutely agree. While I still
> sometimes enjoy a well recorded LP for example I'll generally take digital
> over analogue any day in fact. "Slow dynamics" is my favourite gripe with
> analogue.
>
> Regular CDs are not the be all end all (and certainly many recent ones with
> their ridicously high average dBFS and compressed range) but analogue
> technology tends to have approximately 10000 different points of failure on
> average against 10 for digital. The laws of chance then dictate how many
> times I will consider digital better...
>
> Rene.

Just to make things clear - my comparison was CDs versus CDs - not versus
LPs.

Anyway, recordings of the seventies are analog in their source, while
1997 recordings are digital.

And in the above examples digital recordings sound better; no jitter
elimination will make the above recordings of the seventies to sound
like the above digital ones.

Regards,
  Sergei.