Nigel,

Thanks again for putting so much time into my problem! See comments inline.

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Nigel Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 May 2008 12:35, you wrote:
> > Update:
> >
> > I removed the DVB-T card from the system and rebooted - same problem.
> > System sees the card but the ALSA system doesn't recognise the codec
> >
> > <sigh> still looking.
> >
> > Peter
>
> Hi Peter. First of all it would be fair to say that there are horrible
> problems with hda intel based cards, as they are setup differently on the
> mobos of PC's/Laptops, depending on which machine you have. Laptops are the
> worst, as your only alternative if you can't get the onboard hda intel card
> to produce sounds, is to buy a USB, or pcmcia card. At least with a PC, and
> aspare PCI slot you can buy a cheap, known Alsa supported card, and get the
> sounds working.
>
> That said, you had sounds working when you had your Gutsy Gibbon installed,
> so
> at least you know the sounds worked with the hda intel card.
>
> You say that your not sure if the sounds stopped after installing the
> server
> version of Ubuntu GG, or after you'd installed HH 8.04. I spent a bit of
> time
> at the Ubuntu site looking at the server version, and the kernel. It did
> say
> the server kernel was somewhat different, but didn't say too much about the
> differences. I don't know if there is some specific reason that you need
> the
> server kernel, but if not it may be worth installing the generic one, and
> seeing if the sounds work ok with it.
>
> I'm a bit lost. Alsaconf is now deprecated, and no longer exists on GG. You
> used to be able to run that command as root, and it would search for
> soundcards, and if found set them up. I can't find anything on GG to
> reconfigure the soundcard. All that running "asoundconf list " (no double
> quotes)shows is soundcards that are already configured.
>
> There are a couple of things you could try to perhaps identify the problem.
>
> First open konsole/terminal, and enter the following text.
> sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
> This should capture any problems when running the following stuff.
>
> Now open another instance of konsole/terminal, and run the following
> command.
> sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
> Followed by /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
> Any messages on the konsole running tail -f?

I get:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
 * Shutting down
ALSA...                                                         * warning:
'alsactl store' failed with error message 'alsactl: save_state:1497: No
soundcards found...'...                                              [fail]

Which is to be expected I guess...

Then:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
 * Setting up ALSA...                                                    [
OK ]

and in /var/log/messgaes:
May 22 23:04:38 snoopy kernel: [97942.954373] ACPI: PCI Interrupt
0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
May 22 23:04:39 snoopy kernel: [97943.034189] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device
0000:00:1b.0 disabled

Which is similar to what goes in dmesg when the system boots:
>From demsg:
[   40.254047] ALSA /build/buildd/linux-ubuntu
-modules-2.6.24-2.6.24/debian/build/build-server/sound/alsa
-driver/pci/hda/../../alsa-kernel/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:1892:
hda-intel: no codecs found!
[   40.254089] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled

> Also check out cat /proc/asound/cards, to see if any cards have appeared.
> if
> so we may be getting somewhere, but if not try the next suggestion, as
> below.

Nothing appeared

Leaving the konsole running tail -f open, on the other konsole do.
> rmmod snd-hda-intel
> This may need to be run as.
> modprobe -r snd-hda-intel, if the rmmod command fails.
>
> Now run.
> modprobe snd-hda-intel
>
> Check again any output from the other konsole running tail -f, and also
> run.
> cat /proc/asound/cards, which may show detected cards.

Nothing from those commands in /var/log/messages

Whatever output you get on the konsole/terminal that is running tail
> -f /var/log/messages, please post it to myself, and to the alsa-user list.
>
> Personally, and if you have a spare PCI slot, I'd have a look on E-bay for
> an
> Audigy2 soundblaster card (emu10k1), which is the one I have. I think they
> can be picked up quite cheaply, and I know that this card works. Just a
> suggestion.

That's exactly what I would have done ages ago but sadly my stupid
motherboard has only one PCI slot  and that has the DVB-T card in it so
sadly not an option.

I will post to the alsa-dev  group and see what they have to say.

Peter