On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:39 AM, stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Westley wrote:
>
>> Tobin,
>>

>> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Tobin Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>>
>>    Before you go off and get rid of your board, there are a number of
>>    things to look at first.  According to an earlier post, it looked
>>    as though the audio may have been disabled in bios.
>>

>> Checked that - all OK.
>>
>>      Another possibility is that it worked before because the driver
>>    didn't even know about the codec (let alone the board).  When I
>>    looked at the tip source, the only motherboard that matched the
>>    subdevice id for your system was a 945 (ICH7/Sigmatel 9221).    Based
>> on that, and the the way my board currently works (DP35DP -
>>    very similar), I am starting to think that it may be a problem
>>    with Ubuntu's alsa drivers (wouldn't be a first time, believe me).
>>

>> I've tried building an Ubuntu 8.04  from scratch but that doesn't work.
>> I'll also try it with the 7.10 desktop I think I originally had it working
>> with. Haven't done that yet so can't report on it... standby for an update
>> on that.
>>
>>    First thing to try, as suggested elsewhere, try removing your
>>    tuner card temporarily.  If audio comes up, then we have found the
>>    conflict.
>>
>>  Yes did that, same result.
>>
>>      If not, try "acpi=off".
>>
>>  Also this, no luck
>>
>>      Lastly, you can try downloading a daily snapshot from
>>    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/ and building
>>    it with "./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-debug=detect".
>>  Once you build and install it, type "lsmod|fgrep snd|awk '{print
>>    $1}'|xargs rmmod" to remove all sound modules, type "dmesg -c" to
>>    clear the dmesg log, then "modprobe snd_hda_intel" to load the new
>>    modules.  If you still don't get audio, type dmesg to see the
>>    latest output and email that info here.
>>
>>  OK built 20080524 from the above site (actually from
>> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/ because
>> there's a 'README' there that says it's moved...)
>>
>> Used:
>> ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-debug=detect
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>
>> Then removed all the 'snd' modules with rmmod (couldn't use your above
>> command - it required reverse dependency removal of the modules so I just
>> did it manually - anyone written a script or is there an option to rmmod
>> that ignores dependencies?)
>>
>> and finally
>>
>> dmesg -c
>> modprobe snd-hda-intel
>>
>> No go.
>>
>>  [snip]
>
>> Curious to know why the hal is getting involved...
>> So that's where we are...
>> Peter
>>
> You might want to look at the thread "ICH8 HDA not detected after upgrade
> from Ubuntu 7.10 to    8.04".  He has the identical problem and his dmesg
> [...]
Stan,

Thanks, yes I saw that and wondered the same thing. In fact his problem is a
little different - in his dmesg log, he gets:

   1. [   42.872651] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[A] -> GSI 22 (level,
   low) -> IRQ 21
   2. [   42.872657] PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for
   device 0000:00:1b.0
   3. [   42.872661] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
   4. [   42.872668] HDA Intel: probe of 0000:00:1b.0 failed with error -16

compared to mine:

   1. [   40.254047] ALSA

/build/buildd/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-2.6.24/debian/build/build-server/sound/alsa-driver/pci/hda/../../alsa-kernel/pci/hda/hda_intel.c:1892:hda-intel:
   no codecs found!
   2. [   40.254089] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled

So in his case there's what looks like a conflict, rather than in mine, just
the codec is not detected. The end result is the same.

I did try installing a fresh 7.10 and 7.04 Ubuntu and now I'm beginning to
doubt my recollection that the sound ever worked - it didn't on either of
those installs....

Peter