Hi Sergei Steshenko!

 On 2012.04.30 at 02:03:34 +0400, Sergei Steshenko wrote next:

> You apparently lack imagination.
>
> Here is a number of hints for you:
>
> 1) how can you know how many input channels I need ?
> 3) how can you know whether my computer (which is not necessarily a desktop)
> at has "Line In" input ?

Making lots of USB soundcards to work properly might be an issue by
itself, even if each card works separately. There can be various issues
with USB bus causing latency problems resulting in cracking and other
problems if you actually try to use lots of USB soundcards.

Reliable solutions for getting lots of line input on USB are using
devices which are made for that; of course it won't be as cheap as a
bunch of USB soundcards, but they are made for this job. There are
various devices with these functions from M-Audio, E-MU and some other
manufacturers. An example would be M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, USB 2.0
device which provides 8 analog inputs - I haven't checked if it works
with ALSA, though, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to find something
that works.

That said, it's probably cheaper to buy lots of cheap USB single-channel
soundcards from ebay or DX or something and check if they just work -
and if they don't, think about real multichannel USB interfaces. But
don't assume that they will all work together just because single one
did - check if they actually work correctly when you feed required
amount of input streams into them.

--

Vladimir