Hello All,

I have a system with several sound cards on them, see:
dagg@NCC-5001-D ~ $ aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 3: Device [Generic USB Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

from the output one can see that I have two hdmi sound outputs on my system.

up until few months ago I used the intel hdmi to reroute feed to me tv, since
the inclusion of uvd to the kernel I've decided to switch to the ati card.

when using the intel hdmi I streamed the sound to card 0 sub device 3, e.g.
directly to the intel hdmi and it worked fine.

from the passing to ati (I'm running kernel 3.11.1) I streamed to card 2
subdevice 0 e.g. directly to the ATI hdmi but I didn't hear sound in the tv.

after consulting with one of the ati devs he asked me to try stream it to the
generic hdmi and it worked.

why is that? shouldn't the stream go via the ati hdmi and not the generic one?

Thanks.