the 3600 doesn't have hdmi socket so I think it is irrelevant for my issue.

>> If you update the kernel, you will get two devices named "HDA ATI HDMI".

upgrade to where?
Linux NCC-5001-D 3.11.1-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 15 19:40:57 IDT 2013
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
3.11.2 is next (upgrding now but I doubt it will make any change)