Hi,

I'm trying to set up the e-mu 0204 for psychoacoustics research purposes on
Debian Wheezy.
When using aplay to play a short (200 ms, or 900 ms) wav file, at the onset and
at the offset of the sound
there are audible pops and clicks. I'm actually using a GUI program I wrote in
pyqt4 that writes the sound
to a wav file, and then calls aplay to play it. This program can also output
sound through PyAudio (portaudio) and
pyalsaaudio. If I play a sound with PyAudio, then there are no pops and clicks
at the onset/offset of the
sound, however, with PyAudio there are occasional distortions in the middle of
the sound.
The strange thing is that if I first play some sounds with PyAudio and then
switch to aplay, aplay
works well without pops and clicks at the onset/offset of the sound. I have the
impression that PyAudio
is setting some soundcard parameters that make it work well with aplay. If I
close the pyqt4 GUI and
open it again, the problem with aplay returns. Do you have any idea of what the
problem could be,
and how it could be fixed?

Some additional info. The problem with aplay is present also if I use it from
the command line rather
than the pyqt4 app. pyalsaaudio has the same problem as aplay, again if I play
some sounds with PyAudio
and then switch to aplay the problem is fixed, as long as I keep the pyqt4 app
open. I have been using
the same program with the e-mu 0202 and it has been working without any issues,
so I would discard the pyqt4
app as the source of the program. I have tried plugging the 0204 on different
USB ports but the problem persists.

Thank you for your help,

Sam